Friday, March 21, 2008

Mantra Check-in: So How'd You Do?

This week I asked you to consider whether your well-laid plans were really the best way for you to go. Or, to put it another way, I asked you to consider whether not following those plans--or fate intervening--was really a problem.

And then we talked about recession. Coincidence?

You know the drill.

So how did it work for you?

It was the best mantra I could have chosen for myself this week. In this roller-coaster world of self-employment, you never know what's going to happen: You're busy until you're really, really not. You've got a new client... until you see the contract. You have a steady gig... until they go in a different direction. I feel like this week has been a lesson in the figurative bobbing and weaving involved in the freelance life. You've got to stay on your toes. You've got to stay nimble, and you've got to keep moving. If you stay behind to focus on what just happened and how it doesn't fit with your plans, you stagnate.

So just for today, keep going. I know I will.

No comments: