Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Serenity Tip: Just Do It

When I started meditating three years ago, I was having a very hard time getting myself to start. I wanted candles lit, a single rose in a vase near the candles, the perfect meditation chair and a clean, quiet place in which to meditate. And I wanted to do it for 30 minutes at a time.

Then a very wise friend of mine said to me: "Heather, sit down, shut up and close your eyes for two minutes!"

Thus began my daily practice. There are no candles in bed. The room where I meditate is usually a mess. I don't have flowers in my meditation room (which doubles as my office). But I do it. Sometimes, when I'm really in the groove, I get 25 minutes in. Sometimes, when I'm agitated or in a hurry, I do five minutes. Usually, like today, I get in 15 minutes.

So start the year this way: Whatever practice you keep promising yourself you'll do, just start it. Drop what you're doing right now and do it for two minutes: Maybe it's marketing you hate, but need to get into the practice of it. Maybe it's meditation or yoga. Just try it. For two minutes. Then stop. Don't overwhelm yourself. Save up the excitement of having started for tomorrow's two minutes.

Eventually it will grow, and become a practice. But right now, just do it.

No comments: