Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring Cleaning Update: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I try never to suggest things to you that I wouldn't do myself. So when I suggested last week that you start your spring cleaning in your office, I intended to follow through myself. And I have. Today's progress:

Recycle Old Computer: check

Can I just tell you how lucky I am to have Green Citizen in my neighborhood? I drove up, the staff took the computer out of the back of the car, I paid to have the hard drive erased, and sped off. It couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes.

And now I know where I can recycle all those old ink cartridges.

Scan and Shred Old Docs: in progress

Tonight, I got motivated. Heaven knows why, but I pulled out all the files of clients I haven't written for in the past year or whom I'm fairly certain I won't be working in the future. Then I put my all-in-one's scanner to the test.

Two hours later and I have scanned in all those files and I have to say--I'm addicted. I started looking at all the other files I've kept around for years--old medical files, tax files from 2002, files for credit cards I haven't used in years--and imagined the space I could have. I wouldn't need all three of these file cabinets I have now. I could be better organized.

I have to admit, I've been reading UnClutterer's posts on the paperless office with a great deal of skepticism. I think it goes back to my newspaper background. I like to hold and touch my papers. It is comforting and more real somehow.

But c'mon. There's a limit.

And that limit is three filing cabinets in a small office at 33 years old. I can't imagine what it will look like in a year, let alone 10 or 15 years.

And now that I have my handy-dandy backup drive I don't have to.

What does this mean for my serenity? It's a little early to tell. Right now it means that there's physical room in my filing cabinet for new client folders. I know it's New Agey, but there's something important to me about making room for more work, even in my filing cabinet.

And I'm looking forward to making more.

How's your spring cleaning coming?

No comments: